Saturday, January 23, 2010

No... I Am Not a Sasquatch

I went on my lunch break today to the mall to get some new tennis shoes for spring. Easy task right? Sure. I already knew what I wanted and was as prepared as any good lil boy scout ever was.
  • Color: white
  • Brand: Puma or Nike (I'm sweat-shop equal opportunity)
  • Size: 7 1/2

How did I know these things about myself? How did I know that's what I wanted? Well, believe it or not, after almost 28 years with good ole' me-myself-and I, I've began to learn what I want.

(Not to be confused for those few years I thought I knew what I wanted but I was just stupid and young and should of stayed locked in my room for approximately 7 years until the stupid grew out of me. (Note to self: Look for good lock for Kalaya's room in 15yrs)

So, since Myself and I are such bosom buddies- I knew, walking into the store, exactly what I wanted.

ERRRRRRRRRRR. WRONG.
Unbeknownst to me, my local college-bound sales clerk knew me muuuuch better.

I walked in the store and headed to the women's shoes (Point for me! I knew I had to go to women's shoes!)
I headed right to the section with the Pumas. (Point dos for me! I know how to read!)
And then narrowed down my search to the white ones (HAT TRICK! I knew my colors!)

Here's where myself and I did not seem to communicate correctly. Maybe some of my synapses are down for construction. Silly me, I thought I wore a size 7 1/2 in tennis shoes. I was supposedly misinformed by my trickster inner self.

I found the shoe I wanted and thought "hey, I'll ask the sales girl for an 8." (I figured, I'll go a size bigger at first and then see how it goes)

The conversation went as so:
Me: "I'd like to see this in an 8 please."
Sales Clerk: (looking me up and down) "You want an 8? You mean a 9 right?"
Me: "Ummm no I think an 8 will do, thanks."
Sales Clerk: ( still looking up at me) "An 8?"
Me: "Yes- an 8."
Sales Clerk: "They run a little small- are you sure an 8?"
Me: (totally aware that, yes I am tall) "Yes please- an 8."

She walks off and I am still confident in the fact that I know myself well.
(White, Puma, 7 1/2--- I got this!)

Cute lil sales clerk comes back with 2 boxes in hand. I only asked for one.

Sales Clerk: "Ok I found the 8 in the Puma but I also got you the 9 just in case." ( big grin)
Me: "Ummmmm ok. Thanks"

And I grabbed the 8 to try on. They fit pretty good but were a bit big. I also didn't like those as much as I anticipated- so I looked at lil miss and asked for the other white (check) puma (check) in a size 7 1/2 (check).

Sales Clerk: " Are you sure? I have some of those in black and I found them to run a bit small?"
Me: " Yeah I'm pretty sure"
Sales Clerk: " Ok, so you are sure?"
Me: " Well, I thought I was before I came in here."

She gave a sweet little smile and with a kick in her step- went to the back to get the 7 1/2 for me in the other Puma. (fingers crossed)

Much to my dismay-- sweetie came back with two boxes again.
Sales Clerk: " I went ahead and got you the 7 1/2 and the 9 just in case"
(please remember, I have never once said that I wanted anything larger then an 8 at this point)
Me: " Ok sure"

I put the 7 1/2 on and they fit like a charm.

My inner self and I won! It was a challenge and enemies attacked on all fronts- but we made it through!

I walked out with a new pair of spankin' brand new 7 1/2 size, white Pumas.

So in closing:
Yes people, I am 6 feet tall. I am thoroughly aware of that everyday when I wake up till I go to sleep. I'm tall enough to have played basketball in school-- granted. However, much to your dismay, I did not. I of course would be happy to help you get something off of your top shelf because I'm friendly like that.
Why do I still wear high heels then? Because, if you didn't notice, you already look up to me. Why not look up AND I have fantastically awesome shoes at the same time?
But, and this is just so you know, I have little feet.
I'm one of the few and far between tall chicks with little feet. I don't know why. All I care is that they are big enough so I don't walk like Barbie or tip over when I stroll.
But most of all- the one thing I am most aware of---

I WEAR A SIZE 7 1/2 IN TENNIS SHOES!

No comments: