Wednesday, September 9, 2009

All In A Day's Work

The whole family got together for Kalaya's birthday and we bought her a new swingset. Of course, we needed help putting it together so we employed Bubba and his tools for the job. It ended up that most of the entire family came and had a workday at my house! Bubba built the swing set while the rest of us worked hard in the yard. We trimmed bushes, dug up bushes, made flower beds, and generally worked hard all day long. The results are beautiful though!
We created this flower bed beside my patio. I'm going to fill it with elephant ears and kangaroo paws so they will come back each year. I'm hoping to put out some potato vines in the spring as well (they don't come back each year). The purple clover in there already is something that was there when I moved--it comes back every year.
I found lantanas on sale at Lowes the day before so I made two lantana beds. If you don't know, lantanas are great plants. They come back each year and attract TONS of butterflies. In fact, some people call them butterfly plants!
I still have to get rock to surround this one but the wood will do for now.:)
Jeff and I went hunting through my old barn and found some goodies-----
  • old military records
  • letters from a soldier serving over seas in the 60's
  • lots of mule/horse/I'm scared to ask poop
  • a scary tool shop with scary knifes and chairs
  • UGA notebooks from the 60's (hope they saw the error of their ways and went for Roll Tide later in their life)
  • a nest of rats
  • an old sewing table
    I'm using the sewing table for a plant table on my patio for now. I love finding old things to use creativly as flower pots or holders in my yard.

This is an old plow umm-- thingie i found.

Old glass jug found

Nana painted my great uncle's old swing for us.

I guess I'm going green and I didn't even realize it:)

No matter what, we are happy girls! Mommy has her yard looking great and Kalaya has a new swingset to play on.

No comments: